Wanted: Building Services or Energy Engineer to help in the fight against climate change!
Project Manager & Energy Consultant
PowerTherm Solutions is interested in receiving applications from a Building Services or Energy Engineer for the position: Project Manager & Energy Consultant. This is an excellent opportunity for an engineer to become involved in energy consultancy and join the challenge associated with climate change. PowerTherm is a small organisation, and so the role has great variety with the opportunity to work to one’s strengths, but also develop other skills. It involves energy efficiency and renewable energy; working with clients to manage their energy and also designing energy upgrade projects.
The successful applicant may be from a design, contracting, equipment supplier, or energy consultancy background. They will receive the necessary training and guidance.
Applicants must hold an electrical, mechanical or building services engineering qualification (NFQ Level 8 or higher), with 3-5 years of practical engineering experience (ideally as a contractor).
Reporting to the Managing Director the successful candidate will have responsibility for:
Energy Audits – Undertaking energy audits, preparation of the associated detailed reports including the quantification of the potential savings.
Design & Project Management – Designing, procuring, and overseeing energy efficient and renewable energy upgrade projects to existing facilities. Examples include heat pumps, solar PV, building fabric insulation, AHUs, and combinations of these to bring buildings up to a BER B rating.
Measurement & Verification – Quantifying energy savings achieved and reporting on these, including for the Energy Efficiency Obligation Scheme.
Energy Management – Helping clients implement and maintain an energy management system such as Energy MAP or ISO50001, and the OPW’s Optimising Power @ Work behavioural change initiative.
On a day-to-day level the successful candidate will undertake a range of activities, including:
- Desk-based analyses of clients’ energy use.
- Site surveys to identify main energy consumers and factors driving energy use.
- Assessing building services plant and equipment including HVAC, chillers, boilers, air compressors, pumps and the associated controls (BEMS).
- Measurement of energy consumption by direct instrumentation use e.g. ammeter, power recorder, flue gas analyser, flow meter, manometer to quantify energy use and plant and/or system efficiency.
- Identification of energy saving opportunities, quantifying the likely savings and associated cost-benefits.
- Highlighting and providing cost-benefit analysis of energy retrofit projects, such as HVAC upgrade projects.
- Reviewing existing installation and prepare detailed design of new installation, description of system control, PSDS.
- Preparation of tender documentation and associated administration in accordance with public procurement requirements.
- Supervision of contractor works, project commissioning, system testing, resolution of snags, completion of required documentation.
- Measurement and verification of energy savings based on the International Performance Measurement and Verification Protocol (IPMVP).
- Energy management activities include issuing monthly energy reports, investigating increases in energy use, assisting clients plan and coordinate energy management, surveys, and undertaking energy awareness activities.
Desired Skills and Experience
Applicants must hold an electrical, mechanical or building services engineering qualification (Level 8 or higher), with 3-5 years of practical engineering experience.
The applicant must have good written and verbal communication skills, and strong engineering skills. They must have a solid understanding of building services. They must be self-motivated, well-organised, flexible, conscientious and hard working.
The position will be primarily based at our office in Blackrock (close to DART), but will require visits to clients. Hybrid working arrangements can be discussed at interview stage.
Salary will be competitive and will include a significant performance related bonus.
Apply for this Position
Interested candidates can forward their CV to email@example.com
Subject title: ‘Project Manager & Energy Consultant – ‘your name.’
Please also include in the email why you are interested in the position.